Students: Giang Pham, Don Winter, 5th semester

Supervising Prof. Herman Klöckner

In the beginning, before we started to develop our concept, we did some research on game theory and game mechanics. We defined our goal as building an art game that provides a strong meaning in the real world besides nice and fun gameplay. It should be a game to be played in buses, at lunch breaks or even in a queue – quick and easy.

A tribute to Unity.

We realized our game with the game engine unity3D which includes every tool you need (doesn’t incorporate creative tools like Photoshop/Illustrator/After Efects) to set up your basic game (Editor, Animator, Multiplatform Publishing, Asset Store and a very strong online community). For working with Unity you need to know at least a little about programming. It allows JavaScript, C# and Boo in its scripts, as well as cross-connectivity between these languages. Even the Interface structure is build in a coder’s manner with Prefabs (like Classes), Game Objects (like Instances) and Components (like Attributes) beneath OOP concepts of encapsulation, polymorphism & inheritance.

The actual process.

Regarding our interests, we split the work in two parts: Artwork & Animations and Logics & SFX, which we are estimating as very effective for our process. In fact  we always evaluated the work of the other, even switched tasks sometimes.

After we decided upon the concept of Beejørn the bee flying through the forest collecting some polls and facing enemies,  we started by doing some sketches for character variations, environmental details and color schemes. The setting should be a stylized late fall forest scene in the afternoon.                                         Next we thought about how the characters could move and how we animate them (after some insight in Maya, we choose the Unity Animator Component as the easier and more effective way to go). Alongside this process we started implementing the logics of the game and integrated our artwork just in time, so we could determine if it was fitting or not. Certainly, this provided much space for discussion and design decisions whereby, I would say, we learned a lot.          At the end we had a great time recording all the sounds for interactions with our own voices, pitching them to that squeaky level we wanted our hero character to sound.

Unfortunately, in the period of the semester we couldn’t realize all the mechanics we had in mind that would have made the game more versatile and varying. Yet we were surprised what is viable in such short time.

 

(By the way, everyone who is interested should read A theory of fun by Ralph Koester. It’s genius!)